Friday, November 12, 2010

Has Momoiro Clover gone too far?


It seems controversy has struck the girls of Momoiro Clover. Since the release of the PV for their C-side Kimi to Sekai off their new single Pinky Jones, a lot of fans wonder if the PV itself is too sexy.

Let's start off by showing the root of the controversy, the PV.

The PV shows the girls wearing sexy, skin tight biker outfits sitting on top of motorcycles.

However, one of the main problems most of the fans and non fans seem to have is with how heavy their makeup is.
Saying the girls are too young to wear such thick makeup. Personally to me the makeup seems to fulfill some wota's Brooke Shields in Pretty Baby fantasy.

And of course the absolute main problem people have with the PV is the ice cream.

Of course people are outraged because the girl's are too young and the PV consists of them doing nothing but eating ice cream.


That and the ridiculous amount of sexual innuendos.

It obviously means she's just a messy eater.

Clearly this is only to show she's eating a drumstick.


So the obvious question is then: has Momoiro Clover done something wrong, and have they gone too far? And my answer to that is absloutely not. Now I know what you're all thinking. And I'm sure many people reading this are scratching their heads and have come to screeching halt. But hear me out.
Do I think this PV is too sexual? Yes, for my taste of course. Should they set this PV on fire and never dare to do this kind of thing again? No, no, and a hundred times no.
Whenever I see contoversy among fans like this, it feels like I'm the only person who knows they are watching a female idol group and not a Church choir.

But I should probably start from the very begining. I first started to listen to Momoiro Clover because a big fuss was being made about them. But after listening I fell in love with them. They were sugary sweet and had a unique kimono theme going on. Since fans have gotten so used to that from MomoClo of course it's quite a shock when you're thrown a curve ball like the Kimi to Sekai PV. But like all the contoversy about sexy idol PVs the people who seem to have the problem are the foreign fans. I have yet to hear Japanese fans, once complain that a PV is too sexy or has too much fan service. And you know what? They never will! Heck, AKB48 had more of a contoversy with the Beginner PV because it had too much gore. Yet, absolutely nothing was said about the Heavy Rotation PV. Only the foreign fans complained. I guess most of it stems from some foreign fans not fully understanding that's what female, and sometimes male, idols do. And probably always will do. And stuff like this is what wota expect. They would probably get bored of a group if they weren't thrown some sort of fanservice every now and then.

As always the main factor is age. Momoiro Clovers' age range is from 14-17. However, in idol years that's pretty much the age to do these kinds of things. Not to mention a lot of idols were doing fanservice when they were younger then MomoClo are.

Here are some examples:

Let's look at Massara Blue Jeans famous Love me Love me Love me dance parts.

When this single was released C-ute was 10-15. Don't you think 10 year old Mai Mai was a little young to do such a suggestive dance move?

What about AKB48's Baby! Baby! Baby! PV?

When this single was released AKB48 was 14-21. Don't you think Mayuyu at 14 was too young to be running around in a bikini?


What about Sugaya Risako's 1st photobook Risako?

Sugaya Risako released her first photobook at just 12 years old. Isn't it a little too sexy for a 12 year old?

The list could go on and on with photobooks alone. Fans need to take all of this into consideration, and remember that this is what female idols do. Do I condone all of it, not always no. As a straight girl I hardly let fanservice phase me. And everyone out there needs to realize if they have a problem with fanservice it's probably because it's not meant for them. Yes, I know actual fans, or even wota, may complain about fanservice. I heard one AKB48 fan complain that Heavy Rotation was too much fanservice at once. Which is hilarious, because on the other side I'm sure fans complain when there isn't enough.
I guess my main point in all of this is that people shouldn't be so outraged over fanservice. It's basically like going wine tasting and then flipping out that they are serving cheese with it. It goes hand and hand, and to complain about it is ridiculous. As for them being too young, you should realize that Japanese men are obssesed with youth. Hence why idols start out so young and stop when they are "too old" at about 24. It's why lolita fashion exists. And why older Japanese women try to act as cute and youthful as possible. So, if you have a problem with it go to Japan and change the society there. Or until then I suggest you get some other interests, maybe you should try male idols. Their fanservice is less frequent and less intense. (Which is ridiculous if you ask me. I'd chop my own leg off to see Yamapi and Ryo-chan kiss. ;]) Fanservice will exist for as long as their are wota willing to pay for it.

Also, until female idols fanservice gets anywhere near Jrock's you can't really complain.



And finally here's the PV for Kimi to Sekai in case you want to watch it.

4 comments:

StrawberryParfait said...

Now I feel bad. I eat icecream like that, except I don't look at people like that while eating it. And I don't eat it like Reni does, because I'll spill a lot. xD
I didn't think of it like this until I read this. weird.. o.O
I do think they look really pretty, though. =3

AimxAim said...

Lol. It doesn't really matter how you eat ice cream. No one's going to flip out over that. I eat ice cream pretty much the same way too. XD

Really? How could you not? It's pretty much in your face. >_<

They do look really pretty, especially Akari. However, I HATE Shiori's hair. XDXD

StrawberryParfait said...

Well, I did notice they were doing it very sexy and a bit suggestive, but not all the 'smaller' things you pointed out or on arama. >.<
It may also be because of the fact that I'm fifteen and quite naive. xD

Shiori looks like she's got an afro haircut. xD I do like her make up alot though. Hers is not as dark as Akari's. =)

I really want an icecream now. >.<

AimxAim said...

Lol. Come on you should know your fanservice by now. XD Girls eating in anyway is usually fanservice.

Lol, probably. XD

I know she does! I hate it. Everyone else looks so pretty but she looks like she's stuck in the 70's. >_< I like Akari's because it's dark, it makes her look tougher. Plus Akari is my favorite member. :] Every other girl has pretty simple makeup. Akari and Reni have the darkest.

It's too cold for ice cream. At least here it is. XD