Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Top 20 of 2008



With 2008 coming to a close, it seems like an end of many things. Elder Club, Haramoni@, and possibly Leah Dizon. And it seems like you can't turn on the TV without seeing some sort of yearly countdown show. So, I decided to make my top 20 songs of 2008. I'm sure the songs I picked are probably not the most popular or best selling songs of 2008. Mostly because a huge chunk of the music I listen is Hello!Project, NEWS, and random Jrock bands. I didn't even bother to listen to 3/4 of the songs that made in on oricon's top 100 singles of 2008. But that's not important.

I also limited it to one song per artist so it's not like NEWS, NEWS, NEWS, Ai Otsuka, NEWS, NEWS, NEWS. I'll also give a short explanation of why I picked each song.

20. LM.C- Chemical King Twoon
19. Ayumi Hamasaki- Mirrorcle World
18. Koda Kumi - Moon Crying
17. Gazette- Guren
16. C-ute- Namida no Iro


Number 20: I'm actually a really big LM.C fan. And this song is pretty much amazing. 88 was so close to beating this, but I think the fact that Aiji sings in this song made it better. Number 19: There are only a few Ayumi songs I actually like, while this song isn't my favorite by her I still think the song is good. It's sung very well and I absolutely love the music, it's very mysterious. It's so low on the list because the lyrics in my opinion are weird and repetition isn't always key. Number 18: Even though I am not really fond of ballads, I can't deny how great this song is. Kumi's voice is really suited for ballads ad she sounds amazing in this song. And the lyrics are so sad, I get choked up listening to them. Or maybe it's just seeing Kumi cry. Number 17: Being a pretty big Gazette fan I kinda expected more from them. The song is very pretty but I prefer Gazette's heavier songs. I don't really care for this monster ballad. Number 16: This is defiantly my favorite C-ute single in 2008. It's another sad song. But it's not overly sad, since it is a song about saying goodbye and feeling refreshed. While this song is good it's not good enough to be placed higher on my list.

15. L'Arc~en~ciel- Drink It Down
14. Arashi- One Love
13. An Cafe- Summer Dive
12. Perfume- Baby cruising Love
11. Buono!- Gachinko De Ikou


Number 15: This is actually the second song I've ever heard by L'Arc~en~ciel, Ready Set Go being the first. I never really noticed before how good of a singer Hyde really is. Since I can't find a translation for this song, this is based on how it sounds alone. And the music is awesome, creepy but almost toned down. And Hyde is looking hot in the video. It's strange because I don't really think he's attractive any other time. Number 14: I'm not really a big Arashi fan, this is one the second song I've heard by them. But since Jun Matsumoto is hot I think I listen to them more. This song is so sweet. Leave it to a Johnny's group makes me swoon over their song. Number 13: I really love the overall sound of this song. And it's apparently about summer. But I love all An Cafe's songs. Number 12: It was really hard to choose the overall best Perfume song of 2008, Love The World came so close to winning. But this song is just awesome. I'm a big Perfume fan mostly because I'm a big techno fan. I am also very captivated by Perfume's cute voices. Number 11: This is actually one of my favorite Buono songs. I think everything about this song is just amazing. But the music is really a huge factor. And of course the always cute Buono lyrics.

10. Mika Nakashima-I Don't Know
9. Berryz Koubou-Madayade
8. KAT-TUN - Lips
7. Morning Musume-Resonant Blue
6. Ai Otsuka-Rocket Sneaker


Number 10: I really love how this song is a dis to the Japanese media. The lyrics are really powerful. Her English isn't that great, but you have to commend her singing entirely in English. But I kinda hate the hair she's sporting in the video. Number 9: What can I say, I can't get enough of Madayade. It's probably my absolute favorite Berryz song. Everything is just perfect in this song. The beat and the music is amazing. And everyone's voice sounds incredible. Plus the uber catchy chorus, just awesome. Number 8: I always thought KAT-TUN was kinda terrible, but this song has certainty changed my mind. I think Kame and Jin looking hot in the video is a big reason I like the song so much. But I really love the rock music, which you never really hear in Johnny's songs. The lyrics are pretty awesome. "Those red-drenched lips, I want to get closer to you and destroy them, violently." That's pretty epic. However I doubt I'll become a KAT-TUN fan. Number 7: Even though I wasn't a big fan of this song at first, I have really grown to love it. Even though you only really hear Ai and Reina, they are the strength of Momusu and make this sound really good. And I think the lyrics are really good. Number 6: Ai Otsuka really is "The New Guru of Love." She delivers another really sweet love song. But I'm not exactly sure what an Earth number is. I really love Ai's voice though. It's so adorable and yet also beautiful.

5. Kanjani8-Musekinin Hero
4. Utada Hikaru- Prisoner of Love
3. NEWS-WEEEK
2. YUI- Summer Song
1. Namie Amuro-New Look


Number 5: I usually find Kanjani8, for the most part, really annoying. But this so is so crazy, it's great. I can't stop listening to it! And Ryo being in it helps too. Jajajaja~n. Also why was a song about the economy so popular? Number 4: I blame the drama Last Friends for making me like this song as much as I do. But Utada Hikaru has an amazing voice and she sounds just incredible in this song. I'm just a prisoner of love to this song. Oh that was a terrible joke. XD Number 3: I love this song so much. The positive message and the overall happiness of this song is just infectious. I can't help but love it. And everyone in NEWS are great singers. Number 2: This song is so amazing. I love how she sounds during the chorus it's so awesome. And I love the nostalgic-ness of the lyrics. This is just a pretty and upbeat song about summer love. This song really just makes me happy every time I listen to it. And also kind of sad because it makes me think about how quickly my youth will be gone. Number 1: Namie made a truly amazing song. I've listen to this song at least 60 times since it first heard it. I'm in love with 60's and mod fashion, so on that alone the song is awesome. But I just love the girly lyrics. How it's all about hair and fashion.


There you have it my favorite songs of 2008. I'd really like to hear what everyone else thinks the best song of 2008 is.

0 comments: